[78-L] Canadian Columbia 78s (or the topic that won't die)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Apr 26 22:23:04 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> From: stevenc at interlinks.net
>> From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
>> > When last we discussed this topic, Nell was tied to the railroad
>> > tracks and .....
>> >
>> > But --- for those keeping score -- and I'm sure it been mentioned
>> > before .. just got me a 78 of Teenage Beauty b/w Baby Sitter Rock by
>> > Jimmy James and the Candy Kanes on Columbia C-2603. April 1958 if I
>> > recall -- and it make it to number 26 on the CHUM charts!
>> > Nice rockabilly on this one
>> >
>> C2603 was one of the later issues in the "C-" series; this was used for
>> Canadian recordings, after Columbia(C) quit issuing Columbia and Okeh
>> material from the US on that series (pressed by Sparton of Canada into
>> 1954, and by Quality thereafter...!). IIRC, this series reached at least
>> the
>> high 2900's; since documentation is AFAIK non-existent, I have no idea
>> if it ran to/past C-3000?
>
> We've discussed this once or twice..they kept ALL the original Sparton
> numbering series going well into the early 70s. The series that began with
> C-1 went into the 3000s, the 6000s continued into the 7000s for French
> Canadian recordings, and there were even some blue label C-10000s of folk
> music in the late 50s. (Trivia..what was C-1? I have it, and it survived
> the move, even though it was an unlaminated pressing and it was right at
> the far end of a tightly packed box.)

1) I'm not sure, and don't think I own it...?!

2) Has/have the Columbia(C) C-series ever been listed in any form?!

Also, note that Canadian records in "album sets" bore the C-6### numbers;
a few pop hit discs also bore C-8### numbers. The 5-digit C- numbers
were usually Canadian "Masterworks" issues (although a few George Formby
sides appeared in the C-10### series)...!

Steven C. Barr