[78-L] Alvino Rey and The Kings

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Apr 22 20:11:28 PDT 2010

From: "Dan Van Landingham" <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com>
> As a long time antique radio buff,I'm familiar with their radios although
> I've never owned one myself.I did know they bought Columbia.Did Obie leave
> RCA of his own  volition
> or was he fired?Majestic was "The Mighty Monarch of the Air" and,I
> think,sponsored the Edgar Bergen-Charlie McCarthy radio programme.Majestic
> even made a radio that
> was named after them.I saw a picture of it once in a radio book some
> thirty years ago.Come to think of it,I've never seen any Majestic radios
> from the '40s either.

I USED to have (long & sad tale) a vintage Majestic radio; sadly, the few
old radios
(& TV's) I now own were the "leftovers" from an impromptu "contents sale"
that
my EX-friends decided to hold for me while I was laying in the hospital...?!
As well,
my long-since-"late" grandmother used to own a postwar Majestic radio-
phonograph...which I grew up playing Spike Jones 78's upon!

As far as your Obie question...ask David Diehl...!

Steven C. Barr