[78-L] Skeets Herfurt and...?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Apr 21 18:35:01 PDT 2010

>I had no idea that Welk's band had these musicians. Dumont was a first-call
> reed player in the film studios.
>
> There was someone who was playing lead alto right before Herfurt who was
> one
> of those busy studio musicians who'd also played in many big bands. I
> cannot
> for the life of me remember who it was.
>
> Jeff Sultanof

I will try to figure out who that was.  Speaking of first-call for movies,
Welk gave Warren Luening his first break when he made him a member of the
"teen orchestra."   But Warren was so good that Welk often put him in the
trumpet section which made it five guys...and the sound they got was
fantastic.  All this when Luening was 17 years old...he was already playing
great lead and beautiful solos.

Taylor