[78-L] Early discography (was: Larry Adler rarity?)

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Wed Apr 21 10:21:25 PDT 2010

For nearly a year, I looked at offerings of the original English 1936
edition of Schleman’s “Rhythm on Record” and either the condition or
price was not acceptable. I finally decided I would do better by trying
to find a clean copy of the 1978 Greenwood reprint, which, by the way,
originally sold for around $74. (Nothing published by Greenwood is
cheap!) I found a near-new copy on line at an Illinois book store for
$18.95. It turned out to be a mint copy and very nicely reproduced.
Having now seen the Greenwood reprint, I wouldn’t bother with an
original English copy! I find the The jazz catalogs for Parlophone and
HMV  from 1936 to 1948 both useful and historical because they show
that where cataloging jazz recordings is concerned, British record
companies were ahead of the American.