[78-L] Early discography (was: Larry Adler rarity?)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Apr 21 11:03:11 PDT 2010

From: Geoffrey Wheeler <dialjazz at verizon.net>

> For nearly a year, I looked at offerings of the original English 1936
> edition of Schleman’s “Rhythm on Record” and either the condition or
> price was not acceptable. I finally decided I would do better by trying
> to find a clean copy of the 1978 Greenwood reprint, which, by the way,
> originally sold for around $74. (Nothing published by Greenwood is
> cheap!)

While $62.95 seems to be the price that Greenwood now lists the book at,
but in 1978 it was priced at $19.75, and ARSC members could get a 15%
discount.

> I found a near-new copy on line at an Illinois book store for
> $18.95. It turned out to be a mint copy and very nicely reproduced.
> Having now seen the Greenwood reprint, I wouldn’t bother with an
> original English copy!

The one I ordered this morning was just a little more but that was about
the price of the Blackstone reprint I also ordered.

> I find the The jazz catalogs for Parlophone and
> HMV from 1936 to 1948 both useful and historical because they show
> that where cataloging jazz recordings is concerned, British record
> companies were ahead of the American.

My pal Pekka Gronow in an essay "Recycling History"
http://images.cch.kcl.ac.uk/charm/liv/redist/pdf/s6gronow.pdf
illustrates a booklet "The Parlophone Rhythem-Style Series" compiled by
Edgar Jackson.  Is that the one you mean?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com