[78-L] With the Wind and the Rain...

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Tue Apr 20 20:16:28 PDT 2010

I had totally forgotten about the Al Donahue Orchestra’s version of
“With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair.” Donahue’s Vocalion orchestra
was quite good: nice vocals, nice arrangements, and satisfying solos.
The band is frequently dismissed by critics and it shouldn’t be.

Album-cover designer and graphic artist Paul Bacon once told me that he
was in high school at the time “With the Wind and the Rain in Your
Hair” was popular. “All the girls imagined themselves as the subject of
the song,” he said. Can that be said of any pop song today?