[78-L] Kathleen Lane

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Fri Apr 16 08:32:55 PDT 2010

Glenn Miller on Brunswick: The Miller Brunswicks are, indeed, hard to
find in decent shape. They also tend to be more pricey than they are
worth because they are early Miller. I went the budget route many years
ago and bought Harmony HS 11393 “Collector’s Choice” (Miller Brunswicks
from 1935 to 1938). Released in 1982, Everest 4005/5 “Complete
Recordings on Columbia Records (1928-1938)”  may also contain these
Brunswick recordings. I haven’t looked at or listened to the LP in
decades so I can’t confirm the accuracy of that.

 From the few photos I have seen in books or magazines, Kathleen Lane
was a pretty woman. She certainly has a “pure” sounding voice with
excellent enunciation, ease with high notes, and a sexy tinge. One of
my absolute favorites is Irene Daye who gave marvelous dynamics to her
vocals the way a production singer would, thus turning each song into a
story. Another fine vocalist was Marion Francis who sang with Frankie
Masters when he was recording for Okeh (by this time, a lower-case
“k”).