[78-L] Whoopie Boop

Ken "Silver Showcase" kenreg at tds.net
Thu Apr 15 12:53:25 PDT 2010

Banjo Bud wrote:
> If memory serves (and at my age it can sometimes be nefarious, at best),
> Helen Kane once sued Mae Questal for her Betty Boop persona.  However, she
> lost her case when it was pointed out that the "boop-a-doop" style of
> singing was originated by another singer called Baby Esther.  I don't think
> Helen ever pretended to be Betty Boop.  It was said that she hated the
> characterization.  If anyone on the list knows more about this.....lay it
> on.
>
> Bud

I think Kane sued the Fliescher Studio, the creator of the Boop
character, instead of Mae Questal.  Although Questal is the best known
of the woman who voiced Boop in those cartoons, there are a few others
who also did that job.  But you are correct that Kane lost the case when
it was demonstrated that she had not originated that vocal style.
Still, I don't think anyone doubts that the Fleisher brothers were
inspired by Helen Kane when they created Betty Boop.

I might be wrong about this, but I think Kane even used the
"boop-oop-a-doop" phrase before the appearance of the Betty Boop cartoon
character.

Anybody else have more info?

-- Ken