[78-L] Whoopie Boop

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 16:09:27 PDT 2010

According to "Out of the Inkwell" by Richard Fleischer (Max's son), Helen
Kane sued  Max Fleischer, Fleischer Studios, and Paramount Pictures for
$250,000 on the grounds that Boop-oop-a-doop had originated with her and had
been wrongly appropriated from her.

The character that became Betty Boop first appeared in the cartoon "Dirty
Dishes" in 1930 as a half-dog, half-human with no name.  A later cartoon in
1930, "Minding the Baby," turned Betty into a fully cartoon human.   It
wasn't until 1931 that Fleischer hired Mae Questel as Betty's voice and Mae
stayed the voice until the Boop series ended.

Kane lost her case when a piece of sound film made in 1928 proved that a
black nightclub entertainer named Baby Esther was singing Boop-oop-a-doop
long before Helen Kane said she had.