[78-L] National Records

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 03:30:38 PDT 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
> An important Lp of live recordings by the Billy Eckstine band made in
> February and March 1945 was issued in 1972 on 12-inch (E) Spotlite 100.
> The original issue was 100 copies. Tony Williams, proprietor of
> Spotlite, then pressed a general issue of the album as he began to
> reissue Dial 78 recordings on LP i a 100 series. Savoy two-disc package
> SLJ  2214 dubbed “Mr. B and the Band” was issued in 1976. If I recall
> correctly, it includes some alternate takes of certain recordings but
> not all of them. Also left out were certain breakdowns that Savoy had
> but chose not to issue.

I find Eckstine's singing tedious in the extreme. As I recall, he was no
great shakes on valve-trombone. I had all the Emarcy 12" LP reissues at
one time, and got rid of them. I have one Japanese Mercury LP of the
better stuff. Savoy reissues of National sides were never as good as the
12" Emarcys (e.g. Joe Turner and Charlie Ventura).

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4999 (20100404) __________

http://www.eset.com