[78-L] News story: New store -- 78s only!

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 4 20:00:36 PDT 2010

And now you have to watch out for the alternate version of "Levinsky". Don't ask me which take, but side 1 was remade after Prohibition came in.

I've turned up the Al Bernie disc a couple of times. You wouldn't think anyone would try and cover a comedy record, but it did happen in those days..a fly by nighter issued a complete cover of Tom Lehrer's first LP. I had no idea who Al Bernie was till last week when I read Joey Adams' 1966 book "The Borscht Belt" where he mentions Al as one of the many tummlers still active there in the 50s.

dl