[78-L] the bubble book question was a real one

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Mar 27 20:03:41 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill McClung" <bmcclung78 at gmail.com>
> Joe Salerno asked a real question a few days ago and all the responses I
> saw
> were jokes. Maybe I missed the answer so let me know if I did.
> The only reason I knew what he was talking about was that a couple of
> weeks
> ago I saw two volumes of the Bubble books at an antique shop in Virginia
> and
> almost asked the same question of this list then.
> Are they worth much and were there other books/records done like these?
> The
> two I saw were about 5 1/2 inches square, hardcover, 12 to 16 pages of
> text,
> with 3 or 4 5-inch records bound in the back.   I saw volumes 1 and 5.
> The
> text was songs or poems and the records paralleled the text.  I think
> there
> are 7 or 8 volumes total.
> Anybody know these?

I have acquired a couple (2) of these sets...complete with albums, documents
and the applicable 6" records...for $5 and $8 per each! The price varies
widely,
depending upon whether the venue is aimed at Jazz fans or at "toy
collectors!"

The latter group seem to have MUCH more "spendin' cash" than us 78
collectors,
and as a result intact "Bubble Books" (with relevant records) sell for
substantial
amounts...?!

Steven C. Barr