[78-L] TOPS artists (was Bud Roman..Who he?.. )

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Mar 23 17:37:21 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Van Landingham" <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com>
> The Jonny and Jack you mentioned:were they Johnny Wright(married to Kitty
> Wells)and Jack Anglin?Anglin was killed in a 1963 car wreck that Patsy
> Cline attended at the time of her death.I had a TOPS
> 45 of "Why,Baby,Why" and it was as good as the version I heard by George
> Jones.I don't see much
> country on TOPS but I do see alot of '40s-'60s country on albums leased by
> Pickwick on labels like
> Design,Stereo Spectrum and several others.I believe Bill McCall,at Four
> Star Records,leased those
> masters to Pickwick.The artists were the likes of Jimmy Dean,Patsy
> Cline,Maddox Brothers and Rose,
> Charlie Ryan(of "Hot Rod Lincoln" fame),Wynn Stewart and Slim Willett of
> "Don't Let the Stars Get in
> Your Eyes" fame from '53.Bob Sandy is the only TOPS country artist that
> comes to my mind at the pr-
> esent.

Pickwick (et al) seems to have reissued (legally or otherwise...?!) whole
bunches of recordings
originally from fifties-era "indie labels" and other "unlikely to sue"
sources! I recall (but no longer
own) an LP which near as I could figure came from mid-thirties
transcriptions...I aurally verified
that the tracks were NOT taken from the ARC recordings of the tunes...!

And it does seem possible that they could have used the various tracks that
appeared
"semi-anonymously" on the various multi-track 78's of the fifties...?!

Steven C. Barr