[78-L] TOPS artists (was Bud Roman..Who he?.. )

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 19:27:08 PDT 2010

I once interviewed Cy Leslie, who started Pickwick, Design and a whole batch
of other budget labels. A fascinating man who impressed me as being a very
up-and-up businessman. Whatever records he put out he had deals on
(including Frank Sinatra) or he'd purchased the labels outright (Tops). He
made a deal with Capitol to get the rights to issue recordings that were not
in print. This is how he wound up issuing a number of sides Capitol never
issued, and he put out Sinatra albums using tracks that Capitol deleted from
their catalog. He also engineered the deal where CBS Video obtained home
video rights to the MGM catalog, and he described to me the separate deal he
made with CBS TV to get the rights to put "The Wizard of Oz" out on VHS and
Beta, since the TV network had exclusive broadcast rights at the time.

He was very proud of the Pickwick operation.

Jeff Sultanof