[78-L] ARSC

H D Goldman thedoctor at discdoc.com
Mon Mar 22 16:42:00 PDT 2010

general advise to all attendees:

1a) loose as much weight as possible
1b) take loose fitting clothes as 2-3 well spent days should make it unlikely that your regular wardrobe will fit when you leave.

2) be sure to eat beignets at the Morning Call;  they're ssoo much better than the Cafe du Mionde

3) lunch at Felix's, like the cat, 1.5 blocks from DH Holmes.  fried soft shell crab or fried oyster or fried ship poorboy.  Or take a bus uptown to Pascal Manale's for barbeque shrimp.

4) and for G-d's sake, take the St. Charles street car thru the Garden District to the Camellia Grill for breakfast anytime of day/night.  the pecan waffles, malts & hamburgers are all a must anytime.  the icebox pies ain't bad neither!

Please remember that all streets change names as they leave the Quarter & cross Canal St.  I grew up working at Gus Mayer's,  the finest women's department store in N.O., selling woman's shoes & handbags; across Canal St from DH Holmes [the corner of Canal & Carondelet].  Hell of a way to spend a Saturday!!

Without intending offense, tourists can easily be identified by applying when apply French enunciation to names like Carondelet [it's carondalet & Felix's is pronounced like the "cat".  Please never say "naw'lins".  Locals pronounce New Orleans as New ORluns with a bit of southern/new jersey drawl to orleans;  new orleans with emphasis on the leans [as in lean pastrami] is only used in rhyme.

Damn! I almost forgot.  Hansen's Sno-Bliz The greatest sno-ball shop on the planet & the originator of the shaved ice machine; his wife created all the flavors; beware the atomic jr. & sr if still offered: the "liquid marsh mellow" will remove fillings & crowns wth ease.

When you're at the La. Music Factory, pick up a copy of "Piano PLayers Rarely Ever Play Together", you won't regret it.

As Dr. John reminds us, New Orleans is as much northern Carribbean as Southern.  Enjoy!!

Duane Goldman