[78-L] Damage Control on Acoustic 78s? - PART II (David Lennick)

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 22 17:06:10 PDT 2010

beststuff4u at frontiernet.net wrote:
> Thank you for the helpful response. One item in your response concerns me and I do not know how to deal with it.
>
> You stated "many modern styli cave in at heavy forces" and "stylus base touching the shellac". I've been able to find the range of tracking forces for a given cartridge (i.e. Stanton 500.v3) but I have not found tracking force ranges for styli, particularly custom styli above 3.0 mil.
>
> Any suggestions on picking the right styli to avoid collapse and potential damage?

Actually, you should pick the tacking force to fit the stylus.
Use just enough force to put the bent portion of the shank (the little
bit with the actual working end) parallel with the record. You may need
a magnifier to see this. You don't want is heeling upward or downward.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.