[78-L] misc. questions on records

Mark S. Chester mschester at email.msn.com
Sat Mar 20 22:03:50 PDT 2010

United Records were made to play on a turntable with a spindle the size of
that hole. Nobody (as in a consumer) enlarged it; it was done at the
pressing plant. They were Columbia recordings, and in at least some cases as
your copy attests, the United label was pasted right over the Columbia
label; the pasted-on United label on one side must have come off on your
copy. Columbia provided discs for a number of brands with odd spindle sizes,
including United, Harmony, and (most commonly, I believe) Standard. In most
cases during the pre-WWI era, they were the same catalog number as the same
selection on the Columbia label, and apparently the Columbia label was
pasted over. I am assuming that some of these were either overstocked or
discontinued Columbia issues.

Mark S. Chester
Phoenixville, PA

Columbia a1156 10". Prince's Band but  the slection name is gone as
someone enlarged the center hole to almost 45 rpm size

On the flip is United Record label, the specifics are rubber stamped
a1156 America-Overtures on National Airs   band

I have never encountered a 78 with different record company labels on
the 2 sides. What was the reason for this?