[78-L] Miles Davis etc [was Thelonious Monk [was Leonard

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 16:02:20 PST 2010

Regarding  Miles on Columbia, save for “Kind of Blue,” I bought most of
his studio LPs (and some of the “live” ones) up to about 1965. That
became my cutoff year for his recordings. I heard so much of Coltrane
live, I came to hate “My Favorite Things.” Even today, I wince when I
hear the tune. Over the years, I have bought Coltrane recordings very
selectively, especially those from his “sheets of sound” period.
Embedded somewhere in all those notes is a melodic thread. Should I
ever want to clear a room, my first choice would be the First Edition
of the “Ascension” album. The cover is distinctive in a way that
reminds of the Stan Kenton album on Mark 76 where Kenton is shown from
behind seated at a piano surrounded by white background and no type.
When it came to covers, Impulse set a very high standard.