[78-L] Miles Davis etc [was Thelonious Monk [was Leonard

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 16:24:09 PST 2010

Coltrane's late recordings are indeed troubling. It's hard to know in which
direction he was heading; an angry, disturbing style ala Albert Ayler, or
perhaps he would have reverted back to his earlier more melodic style; from
everyone I've ever spoken to who knew John, he was a romantic who deeply
wanted people to understand what he was doing. Most Coltrane listeners I
know prefer his work pre-1963.

Coltrane had a big problem in that he should have played an instrument like
the harp to get in all the notes he was hearing. In fact, he studied it at
one time, and when he married Alice, who was a pianist, he asked her to
study the harp.

Jeff Sultanof