[78-L] Album Images Needed (1) Columbia, G.Schirmer

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Mar 10 11:23:16 PST 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> I have M-325 with a picture cover, Merchant of Venice and 12th Night with cloth
> covers (only later covers for JC and Macbeth). I am pretty sure that the
> autographed Air Raid had blue labels and a green cover, but yes I do have one
> disc with a gold label, 69353D. The Limited Edition was C-5 copy 147 and the
> discs were 69353/6D. The February 1940 catalog lists C-4, 50382/5, price $4.00.
> It also lists the C- albums 1-10 but shows nothing for C-5!

That's the catalog I also have in hard copy, but there are variations in
the catalogs I have on photos from the NYPL microfilms.  The Sept 1939
supplement to the December 1937 catalog shows the 50xxx numbers with
only a "Special Album" designation.  A loose-leaf numerical sheet from
9-15-40 shows only the 69xxx number as C-5, no C-4 shown. There is a
catalog from sometime in 1939 which clearly shows that C-5 is the
"Limited Authographed (sic.) Ed." and that C-4 is the standard edition.
Both sets of disc numbers are shown on the next line but it is confusing
as to which group they mean as the "Sp Ed".  There is another catalog
from after the August 40 price cut which only shows C-5 with the 69xxx
numbers but no mention of it being special, and no C-4.

So it does seem that it is consistant that C-4 has the 50xxx discs and
C-5 has the 69xxx discs and is cited by one catalog as being the
Authographed edition.  What is inconsistent is which sets are in the
catalogs.

Sept 39 Supplement to Dec 37 Catalog -- "Special Album", no set #, 50xxx
discs $4.00
1939 Catalog -- C-4 regular $4.00, C-5 "Limited Authographed (sic) Ed"
no price,
              both 50xxx & 69xxx discs shown "Sp.Ed. between them
Feb 1940 Catalog -- C-4 only, 50xxx discs $4.00
9-15-40 Numerical sheet --  C-5 only, 69xxx discs  $4.25
 post Aug 40 catalog -- C-5 only, 69xxx discs $4.25

Since you have a set with mixed discs -- unless you mixed 'em up -- and
the set numbers do not appear on the labels or spines that I have seen,
it could be that they had left-over gold label 69xxx discs and dumped
them into regular albums.  Your set is C-4/5  :-)

Get me the gold label, the M-325 picture cover, and Merchant cloth
cover.  Which 12th do you have -- Twelfth with the correct label pic or
12th with the Merchant label pic?  I have a photo of both.

> If you're going to ask for Musicraft, ask before I start packing (Leadbelly,
> Josh White, The Revuers).
>
> dl

I have the Revuers -- a photo of them pasted on a blue cover or printed
with a blue border (can't tell in the photo) -- and  two variant covers
of Lead Belly Sinful Songs.  One with his photo in reddish brown on the
left and the titling on a yellow background on the right, and another
with a sepia photo of cotton pickers which is the same photo used on the
Hampton Institute Quartet album.  I don't have the Josh White
Musicrtaft, have a bunch on other labels.  So get me it.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com