[78-L] Damage Control on Acoustic 78s?

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 22:35:05 PST 2010

Regarding poor audio quality on 78 recordings.I had a beautiful arrangement of Charles Gounod's "Ave Maria" with the famous "accompaniment by the Bach Prelude No.l in C Major(from the first book of the
Well Tempered Clavier).This was a Victor electric by the Victor Salon Orchestra as conducted by Rosario
Bourdon dating from circa 1926-29.This was a great favourite of mine and I would love to know if anyone
had ever heard of it.The copy I had was a circa 1938-41 Victor in the 30XXX  series(black label,bright
gold ink which I referred to as "yellow gold" as opposed to the circa 1942 and later Victors which had a'
lighter gold colour think of white gold on your wedding band..This recording disappeared thanks to my
sister in law who sold off much of my collection without my knowledge.When she told me about doing it,I
was,to say the least,infuriated.It's an old story now but I would love to find another extant copy of it.The
record was cut on a 12 inch master.The reverse was an orchestral arrangement of Schubert's "Ave Maria"
again recorded by the same Victor group which I'm sure was a studio group.I dubbed it off in the early '90s
and it came from the collection of a now deceased dear friend of mine who gave me an album which had
contained it along with a dozen others in 1983.He passed away in the summer of 1987.My sister in law
sold much of my collection back in 2004 and when I returned to Oregon later that year,that album was
gone.I don't know is it was ever reissued by Victor,or now,BMG-Sony.By the way,when GE bought
RCA in '85,why didn't EMI step in and claim the RCA Victor company as HMV  had merged with
"British Columbia" in 1931 to form EMI.American Columbia was,from what I have recently read,taken
over by the Grigsby-Grunow Company which manufactured the MAJESTIC radio in the '30s.Any info
would be greatly appreciated by me as I would love to find another copy of that particular recording.