[78-L] Damage Control on Acoustic 78s?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Mar 8 20:47:41 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <beststuff4u at frontiernet.net>
> They say ignorance is bliss, so that would make me extremely blissful.
> All these years I played 78s without recognition that there were factors
> under my control that could either cause or avoid damage to my records.
> The worst I ever experienced was poor sounding music. Now that I am aware
> of the possibilities of certain damage factors, I need to understand how
> to detect them before any damage is done. I'm preparing to make some
> equipment changes as well as to start listening to my most treasured
> acoustics that I have not played in many years. Until now I've only been
> playing electric 78s.
>
> The factors I am concerned about are:
> 1. Wrong stylus size.
> 2. Wrong stylus shape (i.e. conical, elliptical, truncated
> elliptical,etc.)
> 3. Improper tracking pressure.
> 4. Mismatch of cartridge to tonearm (tonearm weight and cartridge
> compliance).

Keep in mind that your acoustic (thus 1889-1931) 78's were inrended to be
played
on machines whose "tracking pressure" was at least up to one POUND...and
whose
needle was worn beyond re-use by the time the end of the first record
played...!

The concepts you cite above would NOT place your 78's at risk of damage;
however, they might reduce the amount/accuracy of the output signal...?!
The most important factor is the fact that 78rpm phonorecords are intended
for play using "point" sizes of .003" (3 mils); while they CAN be played
using the much-smaller "LP/45" styli (.001 to .0007 inches), the sound
quality will be affected (for the worse), and the stylus will very quickly
be
rendered useless, even dangerous for playing vinyl "microgroove" records.

Also, note that it is possible to purchase styli in a range of sizes (.002"
up to .004" or so) and try different sizes to see which one gives the
best reproduction for each 78 you own...?!

Steven C. Barr
(who is working on a system which is based on a sixties (?!) "record
player" fitted with an Astatic N8-2d (.002" diamond tip) needle...with
the intent of feeding the 1-volt (+/-) ceramic-cartridge output signal
into the "Line In" jack of my sound card...!)