[78-L] It's back and it makes threats!

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 7 08:07:07 PST 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 10:24 -0500, Michael Biel wrote:
> Jim Whipkey wrote (quoting the seller):

> >> Is it a rerecording?
>
> Actually his is a dub because all Columbias of that era are.

Well, it's a US recording so yes, it's a dub. But I believe that
pressings from imported matrices are not; every Victor and Columbia
pressing of an EMI master that I've seen has the EMI matrix number in
the dead wax, which means they used the metal parts they were sent.

To my knowledge, EMI did not dub their release masters from
first-generation recording discs, the way Columbia and eventually Victor
did. George Martin writes that in the 1950s, when he joined, Abbey Road
was still recording at 78 RPM onto a solid wax tablet, and sending that
to Hayes for plating and pressing. (His memory may be faulty - it is in
MANY areas - and they may in fact have been using flowed-wax or even
lacquers.)

MS