[78-L] 1st Family

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Mar 6 21:17:02 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> Not necessarily. Bill Cosby released his first LP after the JFK
> assassination and each of his albums was not only funny, but best sellers,
> all the way through to the early '70s when he finally left Warner Bros.
> Another comedy star who flamed out quickly was Allan Sherman, whose "My
> Son" trio of albums (Folk Singer, Celebrity, and Nut) were hits, but he
> then scrambled with inferior material until he gave up around 1967. Bob
> Newhart still did well for a few years during the '60s, and the Smothers
> Brothers, on Mercury, had a successful series of LPs until their TV show
> was axed in the late 60s. All that happened was The Beatles and rock and
> roll took over the album charts from the comics and the folkies. There
> were still good comedy albums to be had in the '60s. They just weren't
> selling as well as they were pre-Beatles.

The Beatles were/are NOT "rock'n'roll" (although much of their first
releases were remakes
thereof...?!). Around mid-1963, popular (teen) music underwent a major
change; unofficially,
the music of this later era lost "n'roll" (as well as much of its original
format...?!) and became
"Rock Music...!!"

PLEASE keep in mind that "rock'n'roll" was a very specific musical form; it
started as a
fast-paced "boogie woogie" with a shuffle rhythm, which (IMHO due to bad
drummers)
became a 1-2-*3*-4 take on typical 4/4 time...?! By 1963, this had become
the standard
rhythm for "pop tunes"...and guitar solos became the most important aspect
of pop
music...?!

Comment ca va?!

Steven C. Barr