[78-L] 1st Family (was: It's BAAAACK!)

Bertrand CHAUMELLE chaumelle at orange.fr
Sun Mar 7 11:37:22 PST 2010

Le 6 mars 10, à 23:27, Cary Ginell a écrit :

> Au contraire, mon ami! "The First Family" was hilarious and still is.
> It sold millions of copies well before JFK's murder.
+++I didn't know it was a hit (no humor intended). I'm not questioning
its hilariousness: I was simply put off by its 'bland" cover and I've
never heard the album.

>  You just need to understand the context of it 50 years removed.
+++Same for you, folks, you need to understand.... In 1964, when I
first went to that flea market for the first time, I knew absolutely
nothing about politics in general (and US politics in particular).
Translated in French, "first family" meant nothing to me. So, in fact,
I didn't realize it was about the Kennedy family !
I had heard about Eisenhower because, as a kid, I lived near the SHAPE.
He was in Paris, before he was elected, at the Hotel Astoria.

What's more, I can"t understand every comedy album in English ! Woody
Allen, for instance: I bought a double LP: what is he talking about ? I
don't know.  I have no major problem with Winters, Borge, Freberg, Bob
& Ray or Henny Youngman...
> Vaughn Meader's impression of JFK was impeccable; the writing on the
> album spurred a succession of similar Booker/Foster productions in the
> '60s, but none were as funny and well-scripted as this one was. JFK's
> assassination only dampened the humor, but we didn't become fans of
> the album because of the assassination.
+++I only wanted to know about Mike Biel, because he mentioned records
by Stalin, Mao and other shady characters...
> There was something perversely funny about the world's most powerful
> leaders sitting around a conference table ordering take-out sandwiches
> from a deli - with each person's choices so perfect for each
> character.
+++Was DR. STRANGELOVE made before or after the record ? It's the same
kind of humor, or am I wrong ?

BC

>>> 78-L at klickitat.78online.com