[78-L] 1st Family

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Mar 6 20:57:07 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>>> Were sales of 'party' records (by that era meaning by such as Redd Foxx
>>> and
>> later Richard Pryor) affected, relatively small as their sales likely
>> were
>> due to subject matter and language?
> Don't have sales figures, but I hardly ever run across even Richard
> Pryor's
> more popular albums in the Goodwill. Or for that matter Bob Newhart or
> Bill
> Cosby. Rusty Warren, yes.

Well. Richard Pryor's comedy was heavily "race-based"...since the Black
population
of Canada is for the most part Caribbean-based, those listeners would have
been
essentially unaware of the humour in his routines...?! I DO find a lot of
Cosby's LP's
at my "local" thrift stores...hardly surprising, considering the quantities
originally sold...?!

I'm still looking for a replacement copy of a Redd Foxx LP..."Give The Man
the $2"...
which remains, IMHO, one of the funniest records I have EVER heard!! (BTW
MP3-usw. copies gladly accepted!)

Steven C. Barr