[78-L] Session Six

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Mar 6 07:33:30 PST 2010

Julian Vein asks about 12-inch 78 Session 12-008. The best source I
have so far come across for information on the Session Label is an
internet site by that name to which four people have contributed,
including the renowned collector, Konrad Nowakowski. Here is some of
what the site says about Session 12-008.

Chicago, April 2, 1944
164 	Big Oaks from Little Acorns Grow^
	Session 12-008
165 	I Wished on the Moon^ (Parker-Rainger)
	Session 12-008
F-166 C 	We Want in the Act
[Listen to We Want in the Act]
	Session 12-009
F-167 	Yesterdays (Kern-Harbach)
	Session 12-009

The session was announced in a brief item in Down Beat on June 5, 1944,
and included in "Metronome's Exclusive Jazz Discography" (June 1944, p.
25). The group was billed in those announcements as the Chicago
Jazzmen, and 12-008 was reviewed under the same artist designation in
October 1944. Just a little later, in the Down Beat review, the band
was referred to as the Little Acorns. After all that indecision,
Featheringill changed the group's name to the Session Six before
releasing 12-009.

Many thanks to William H. Korst for alerting us to this session, which
Eddie Johnson has confirmed playing on. Our listing ultimately derives
from Charles Delaunay's New Hot Discography (1948, p. 497), which Korst
also alerted us to. The listing (which gives the title of 164 as "Big
Oaks") has been passed on to later discographers; for instance, Lord
includes it in his Jazz Discography, with "In the Act" as the title for
166.

Korst was unable to obtain a copy of Session 12-008 from Featheringill
while the record company was in business. Yet 12-008 is not a complete
phantom, for it was reviewed in Metronome, October 1944, as by the
Chicago Jazzmen, and in Down Beat on November 1, as by the Little
Acorns. Collectors, please let us know whether you have ever come
across Session 12-008.