[78-L] Misterioso label

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Fri Mar 5 15:12:30 PST 2010

The four Misterioso 12-inch LPs were issued in the 1970s, perhaps
around 1978. I am told the original studio acetates were stolen from
Prestige and taken to Italy  where they were sold to an existing label
that shall remain nameless. They were transferred “as is,” meaning
without equalization, and pressed. They were then sold in paper sleeves
without jackets to a source in England, who shall remain nameless. The
four covers were then designed by writer-discographer-graphic artist,
Malcolm Walker. If you knew where to buy them, you could get them for 5
or six pounds apiece. As far as I know, they have been sold only at
auction here in the States. Last time I looked, the going price  was
about $150 for the set of four LPs in NM- condition. I consider them a
valuable part of the history of the early Prestige label.