[78-L] Joe Meek, Bad Penny Blues and Boo Woo

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 17 15:13:11 PST 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
> Julian Vein says: I get the impression that some of them are tax
> write-offs. What puzzles
> me is that record stores stock them, because the mark-up on a cheapo
> product that takes up the space of 4 CDs or more at full price can't be
> very much. Unless, of course, they're sold to the shops at dirt cheap
> prices!
>
> I’e been told by a bookstore friend that companies like Half-Price
> Books buy product in large quantities at rock-bottom, giveaway prices.
> I’m told that sometimes they take all remaindered copies of a title,
> meaning thousands of copies, pays pennies per unit, and may sell them
> for $3.98 or more. I know some book companies specifically create
> titles to be sold at discount. I assume the same may apply to CD
> labels.

There are wholesalers who take large runs of CDs at "get 'em outa here" prices.
I sold off several hundred CDs last year that weren't moving, to a broker
somewhere in Northern New Jersey (I shipped them by legit means, I didn't have
to meet anybody in Pine Barrens at 3AM..by the way, is that wounded Russian
still in those woods? That was never resolved in the final Sopranos episode so
I guess there'll have to be a movie after all).