[78-L] Joe Meek, Bad Penny Blues and Boo Woo

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Wed Feb 17 14:37:26 PST 2010

Julian Vein says: I get the impression that some of them are tax
write-offs. What puzzles
me is that record stores stock them, because the mark-up on a cheapo
product that takes up the space of 4 CDs or more at full price can't be
very much. Unless, of course, they're sold to the shops at dirt cheap
prices!

I’e been told by a bookstore friend that companies like Half-Price
Books buy product in large quantities at rock-bottom, giveaway prices.
I’m told that sometimes they take all remaindered copies of a title,
meaning thousands of copies, pays pennies per unit, and may sell them
for $3.98 or more. I know some book companies specifically create
titles to be sold at discount. I assume the same may apply to CD
labels.