[78-L] Multiple disc playback, was Removing hiss - yet another idea

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 13 21:12:57 PST 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 00:08 -0500, Michael Biel wrote:
> Doug Pomeroy wrote:
>  > At an ARSC conference in Nashville a few years ago I gave a talk
>  > about this subject and somewhat jokingly showed a picture of a
>  > "stacked" turntable, powered by a single motor, which could play
>  > several copies of the same recording all at the same time,
>
> It's been done.  In the acoustic era!!!  Somewhere I have a picture of
> it in a book.  A tall stack of turntables on one spindle with a
> acoustical arm and horn at each.  And Walter Welch joined two Diamond
> Disc machines with a common electric motor connected to the turntable
> spindles, with the spring motors disconnected.

Fabrizio & Paul's Talking Machine Illustrated Compendium shows a
Columbia duplicating machine that dubbed three cylinder copies off one
master cylinder, the whole apparatus connected by a single belt and run
as one - probably to avoid noticeable wow, flutter and speed
fluctuations by having everything run from a common drive. Why they did
this with a belt, though, and not through gearing, mystifies me.