[78-L] Multiple disc playback, was Removing hiss - yet another idea

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 13 21:08:31 PST 2010

Doug Pomeroy wrote:
 > At an ARSC conference in Nashville a few years ago I gave a talk
 > about this subject and somewhat jokingly showed a picture of a
 > "stacked" turntable, powered by a single motor, which could play
 > several copies of the same recording all at the same time,

It's been done.  In the acoustic era!!!  Somewhere I have a picture of
it in a book.  A tall stack of turntables on one spindle with a
acoustical arm and horn at each.  And Walter Welch joined two Diamond
Disc machines with a common electric motor connected to the turntable
spindles, with the spring motors disconnected.

And as you might know, there was a similar machine developed for tape
duplication. It used one long horizontal capstan where about 10 or 15
reels of tape can be run at once by the same capstan.  This would
include the master.  The purpose was to eliminate any chance of wow,
flutter, or speed deviation due to the dubbing.  Any changes in tape
movement would affect the master and copies exactly the same.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com