[78-L] Multiple disc playback, was Removing hiss - yet another idea

Doug Pomeroy pomeroyaudio at att.net
Sat Feb 13 19:34:52 PST 2010

The signal which is common to both groove walls is what you get
when you make a (well-tuned) mono mix!  If it 's any more
complicated that that, you will have to educate me.

As for perfectly synchronizing the playback of several copies of the
same recording, the absolute possible improvement in the signal-to-noise
ratio is 3 dB with 2 discs, 6 dB with 4, and 9 dB with 8.

Yes, perfect synchronization is essential and this is VERY difficult.

At an ARSC conference in Nashville a few years ago I gave a talk
about this subject and somewhat jokingly showed a picture of a "stacked"
turntable, powered by a single motor, which could play several copies
of the
same recording all at the same time, the idea being that individual
disc start
times could be fine-tuned digitally after the transfers were made.
This WOULD
work.  But, A major problem would be finding eight decent copies of a
very rare
recording, such as King Oliver's Snake Rag ;-)

doug pomeroy