[78-L] Washing records

Ken Matheson kenmath at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 17:42:55 PST 2010

I do about the same thing as Geoffrey Wheeler, I use
Ajax dish soap, close to the same thing. I mix about
1 teaspoon if dish soap in a small can, or cup. Add
1 or 2 ounces. Warm water, not too warm. I use tap
water because it has chlorine in it. I dip a fine bristle
tooth brush in this solution and work it around the record,
first one direction then the other. If the record has a fiber
core I do not wash it. I rinse and pat them dry with paper
towels, and stack them with paper towels between them.
I take and assemble 2 USPS large flat rate boxes.
I place a quarter inch (.25 inch) metal rod between them.
A stainless steel rod would be best, but I have handy a
.25 inch brass brazing rod. Make sure the rod  does not
have a coating, or threads on it. I place the records about
one inch apart, so the grooves don’t touch during drying.
I can get 20 records on the rod before it bends too much.

I tested a few 78s before doing this. It reduced the hiss
In all cases.  I also plowed a couple of 78s after cleaning
with a .7 mill (33 RPM) Needle. The needle after the play
was clean, and there was no improvement in noise.
Also washing a record does not seem to improve pops,
and clicks.

On 33s, and 45s I use the same solution, only more if it.
I went to the hardware store and got on of those
Shur-Line, Handy_Painters. The bristles are shorter and
finer, and cover more surface. I think a tooth brush would
Be too hard on vinyl.

I an carious if someone were to use a Very heavy soap
solution or other solution, and let it dry without rinsing If it
would fill some of the fine cracks that cause hiss.