[78-L] surface noise feedback on acoustic recordings

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Feb 11 22:41:46 PST 2010

Vincent Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I have read an account somewhere of an acoustic recording session at
> Victor--probably the one written by Caruso's daughter--which described how
> the wax disc would be played back immediately, to check the balance. It
> stated unequivocally that such a playback made the wax unusable as a master.
> I wouldn't believe the contrary no matter who said it.

Caruso's daughter Gloria was three years old when Caruso died.  Masters
could not be played back without ruining them, so when they played back
a wax master it was either a test that they weren't planning on using
anyway, or a duplicate master on a parallel machine.

By the way, a played lacquer can also not be used for mastering for
plating.  The stylus would make a dent in the side walls which would
tear when the plated negative was separated, or when the pressing was
separated from the stamper.  The sidewalls of the groove have to be
absolutely straight.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com