[78-L] surface noise feedback on acoustic recordings

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 11 12:14:08 PST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 11:55 -0800, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:

> Secondly, if Patti Page had been recording 30 years earlier, she could easily have done her over-dubbing trick.  After the first take, they could have used the same record to record the second track and she would have heard the first track coming out of the horn while she was singing the second part.

My uneducated guess is that the cutting stylus would have obliterated
the first take while plowing through the soft wax groove doing the
second take.  Even playing a wax master with a reproducing head was a
damage risk; "playing" it with a recording head (which was designed to
channel sound energy into the stylus, rather than receive it from the
stylus) would probably have been destructive.

MS