[78-L] Velvet Tone 7000 series

david.diehl at hensteeth.com david.diehl at hensteeth.com
Wed Feb 10 15:36:24 PST 2010

According to Nauck & Sutton's label book Columbia claimed use of Velvet Tone from May, 1926 but Harmony was introduced in Sept. of 1925. It seems unlikely that all of the previous years' ephemera would have been re-released on the new label. Likewise Diva (use claimed since May, 1927) does not seem to have issued the earlier titles. Diva's 6000-G series used only the later titles but in different order and sometimes offering different takes from the VT's. There is no mention of the 7000 series nor any Harmony equivalent, only an undated quote from the Phonograph Monthly Review that "Many old Columbia records, having outlived their years of usefulness...are transferred to the Harmony list, where they see further service." Many of these titles had already been released anonymously on various client labels in the 'teens.
I have one VT 7000 of Steamboat Bill by Billy Murray which I cannot lay my hands on at the moment. Other titles are:

Velvet Tone 7015-V:
Nearer my God to thee Baritone solo. (397)
Let the lower lights be burning Baritone & tenor (3556)

Velvet Tone 7017-V:
Mother's Prayers Have Followed Me
Since Jesus Came Into My Heart
Baritone Solo

Velvet Tone 7037-V
Booker Male Quartet
O Mary, Don't You Weep Don't You Mourn
There Is A Light

 DJD
Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com