[78-L] fwd: FW: Sinatra Song Often Strikes Deadly Chord ^

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Feb 9 11:12:08 PST 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> The world outside of Europe couldn't care less about European pop hits except
> if they happen to win a competition AND someone does an English version or the
> artist is already a super star. And even then the song can be overexposed or
> overlicensed and go nowhere ("Mamy Blue").
>
> And there's nothing arrogant about what I said about "Comme d'Habitude". It's
> not a good melody, it's a piece of crap in Anka's lyric, and somebody got
> really lucky.
>
> dl
>
> Kristjan Saag wrote:

>> As for knowing what you mean it would be easier if you'd state what you
>> mean, instead of making arrogant comments, reflecting the all too
>> familiar American attitude towards the rest of the world.
>> Kristjan

This worries me, because David's rash comments have caused you to lump
him together with us Americans.  Canadian North Americans have tried to
maintain a separate identity from United States North Americans, and we
in the U.S. appreciate this effort.  We have found -- especially during
the Bush years -- that when traveling around the world it is better to
pretend to be Canadians because that faux cowboy had made us so hated
around the world.  David, you have been associating with us United
States Americans too much and have taken on some of our worst traits.
You're blowing our cover!

Kristjan, I apologize for his attitude.  He might be accurate as far as
United States Americans, but I thought Canadian Americans were better
than that!  It was that attitude that almost allowed the U.S. to miss
the Beatles and the entire English Invasion.  Actually I can think of a
few songs that became hits here in the U.S. without English words, such
as Velentina and Sukiyaki (which was a made up title of course.)  Even
Volare was a hit in the original version before English words were
added.  But those were a long time ago!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com