[78-L] 15, 000 opera 78s for $12K: 2 competing dealers - Frederick Md vs L Ho ldridge

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 6 15:51:54 PST 2010

Michael Biel wrote:
> David Lennick wrote:
>> Steve Shapiro wrote:
>>
>>> How many collectors keep their collections on shelves in warehouses?
>>>
>> Ahem.
>>
>> dl
>>
>> __________
> You can see dl's shelving in his warehouse spaces in Leah's documentary
> "for the Record".  We didn't get to my warehouses when taping, but in my
> main warehouse space, 15 x 30 feet, all four walls are lined with
> shelves, but there is still a row of unpacked boxes and some piles of
> the university's record library that needs shelving in the empty
> spaces.  They've just beendropped off quickly.  In the smaller spaces
> where equipment and books are, there are shelves but a lot of piles as
> well.  The outtakes we showed at ARSC NYC last fall included shots of my
> New Jersey warehouse in 1985 with my mother looking at the shelves of
> records moaning "When are you going to get rid of them?"

Huge collections generally provoke one of two reactions.."When are you going to
get rid of them?" or "You've got a fortune there." Yeah, right.

> Right now down in the basement there are 4 boxes from Darell Lehman and
> one from Nauck blocking the bottom of the steps, but I just got home
> Thursday.  But there are no free shelves for them yet.  Maybe the kid
> next door can help me put the shelves up in a few weeks. (There goes
> some more floor space!)
>
> But steve also asked what size room could house 15,000 78s.  It's about
> 75 records per foot.  200 shelf feet.  5 shelves high would mean 40 feet
> of shelving.  A 12 x 15 foot room could do it.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

We're looking at houses at the moment. Not our original plan, but three
realtors suggested putting our house on the market, and it sold within two days
and caused a bidding war. And there's lots of affordable places just about 15
minutes east of here..the main problem is finding equivalent space OR putting a
lot of stuff in storage till this deal closes and we're rolling in dough.
Either way, we're looking at grief and misery over the next couple of months.
Everybody who's helped pack and shlep during previous moves is now unable to
lift, crippled, dead etc.