[78-L] 15, 000 opera 78s for $12K: 2 competing dealers - Frederick Md vs L Ho ldridge

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 6 15:17:13 PST 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> Steve Shapiro wrote:
>
>> How many collectors keep their collections on shelves in warehouses?
>>

> Ahem.
>
> dl
>
> __________
You can see dl's shelving in his warehouse spaces in Leah's documentary
"for the Record".  We didn't get to my warehouses when taping, but in my
main warehouse space, 15 x 30 feet, all four walls are lined with
shelves, but there is still a row of unpacked boxes and some piles of
the university's record library that needs shelving in the empty
spaces.  They've just beendropped off quickly.  In the smaller spaces
where equipment and books are, there are shelves but a lot of piles as
well.  The outtakes we showed at ARSC NYC last fall included shots of my
New Jersey warehouse in 1985 with my mother looking at the shelves of
records moaning "When are you going to get rid of them?"

Right now down in the basement there are 4 boxes from Darell Lehman and
one from Nauck blocking the bottom of the steps, but I just got home
Thursday.  But there are no free shelves for them yet.  Maybe the kid
next door can help me put the shelves up in a few weeks. (There goes
some more floor space!)

But steve also asked what size room could house 15,000 78s.  It's about
75 records per foot.  200 shelf feet.  5 shelves high would mean 40 feet
of shelving.  A 12 x 15 foot room could do it.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com