[78-L] Slightly OT: Did Decca/London get into the fake stereo business

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 5 21:32:02 PST 2010

Ernest Ansermet made at least three Scheherazade recordings in the 78 era; the one I'm curious about is a little later one. Entry courtesy of this useful site:
http://www.scona.ch/ansermet/discografia.php?ishow=0/

Titolo:    Schéhérazade op. 35
Solista:    Nerini Piero (vl)
Orchestra:    OSCCP
Luogo, Data     Paris, 22.09.54
Matrice:    ZAL 2369, 2370
DECCA 33 1/min mono    LXT 5082
LONDON 33 1/min mono    LL 1162
DECCA 33 1/min stereo    SXL 2086 / SDD 151 / ECS 735 / ACL 153
LONDON 33 1/min stereo    CS 6018 / STS 15126

The copy I have is the very last one, STS 15126, which is in the "Stereo Treasury Series." I didn't think -- or know -- that Decca/London was ever in the fake stereo business. However, this is Paris in September 1954, and with Decca's various stereo experiments and fellows like Andre Charlin running around, you never know. Is it possible that this was recorded in stereo, or is it mono and they simply re-tweaked it later? As far as I can tell, this is not on CD -- it's with the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra; the Dutton CD uses an earlier 78rpm recording made with them in 1948, whereas the various Decca/London CDs utilize a recording with the Suisse Romande made in 1960.

thanks,

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com