[78-L] FW: UNIQUE BIX BEIDERBECKE 1927 OKEH METAL MOTHER!

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 5 06:57:14 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 09:38 -0500, Scott wrote:
>  As
> for Victor (and Bluebird) the metals are almost always in great shape with a
> vast majority of vinyl tests that were made from the 40s on up to the late
> 60s.

There was a BMG Glenn Miller reissue about a decade ago, a 2 disc set,
that remarked in its notes that an alternate take of "A Nightingale Sang
In Berkeley Square" had to be used because the metal parts for the
originally-issued take had deteriorated. I presume that this is a rare
occurrence since the producer saw fit to explain it rather than not tell
anyone...or use a shellac pressing of the issued take and not tell
anyone.

(I have this set in a box in our new house so I can't check for sure,
but I believe this was one of the few mid-90s reissues NOT produced by
Orrin Keepnews.)

Michael Shoshani