[78-L] FW: UNIQUE BIX BEIDERBECKE 1927 OKEH METAL MOTHER!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Feb 5 09:46:54 PST 2010

Michael Shoshani wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 09:38 -0500, Scott wrote:
>
>>  As
>> for Victor (and Bluebird) the metals are almost always in great shape with a
>> vast majority of vinyl tests that were made from the 40s on up to the late
>> 60s.
>>

> There was a BMG Glenn Miller reissue about a decade ago, a 2 disc set,
> that remarked in its notes that an alternate take of "A Nightingale Sang
> In Berkeley Square" had to be used because the metal parts for the
> originally-issued take had deteriorated. I presume that this is a rare
> occurrence since the producer saw fit to explain it rather than not tell
> anyone...or use a shellac pressing of the issued take and not tell
> anyone.

Not a rare occurrence at all.  It is why there are so many unannounced
alternate takes on the old LP Victor Vintage series.  It is  not so much
that the the issued takes are deteriorated, but that they had been well
used and were not as pristine as the alternates that had been untouched.

> (I have this set in a box in our new house so I can't check for sure,
> but I believe this was one of the few mid-90s reissues NOT produced by
> Orrin Keepnews.)
>

> Michael Shoshani

You moved?!  Where to?

Mike (back home again in Kentucky) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com