[78-L] Harry the Hipster, was Dale Evans and that's a good trick

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 2 20:52:16 PST 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
> DL says: “’Dale Evans is on a whole whack of MacGregor Transcriptions.
> Okay, 10 (per
> Charles Garrod's listings), made between 1944 and 1948. She also
> recorded solo
> for Majestic.
>
> I only noted the particular Dale Evans MacGregor transcription disc I
> have seen. We didn’t play it because we were more interested in Harry
> “The Hipster” Gibson on Jubilee transcriptions and Dodo Marmarosa on
> broadcast recordings from Ted Yerxa Lamplighter jam sessions (not
> enough to fill a CD, and I won’t hold my breath before they see the
> light of day). The Dale Evans Majestic recordings were reissued on
> 10-inch Allegro 4116 Dale Evans Sings, which is part of the 4000
> “Sings” and “Plays” series issued between 1954 and 1956.
> Geoffrey Wheeler

I'm pushing to do Hairy the Hipster. Any support out there? There's enough for
two full CDs..all the MacGregors plus V-Discs (the Jubilee tracks have been
issued on Hep) for one disc, and the Musicrafts, Diamonds and the odd Hip Fairy
Tales (Aladdin and one other label, I think Intro) for the second.