[78-L] Looking to identify/locate female singer

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Sat Jan 30 15:06:09 PST 2010

Hi Everyone, I got the following email from someone hoping I could help identify who might have sung a song she knew from long ago.  It is from a UK green Columbia label.  Below is part of her email to me.  Any ideas?
Thanks,
Glenn

When I was a child, a neighbour gave me a heap of 78s which I played over and over again - amongst them was a song called 'Good-bye',  but I couldn't recall who it was sung by.  It was a record I played most of all.  Of course over the years and growing up, it must have got broken and I no longer have it,  and have been looking for this Song ever since!  However, there was some confusion - both over the actual Song and who actually sang it;  every search that I do on the Internet, (and of course I was spelling it without the 'hyphen' which may have confused matters) kept bringing up different Songs with the same title, and ones that were sung by different people;  it was as if this Song I remember never existed at all - until recently,  when I stumbled upon the Song at long last,  but being sung by two different Singers on YouTube.

Now,  I do know that the one I had was by yet a different Artist than any of the two I have managed to locate - but it is definitely the same Song.  The two Singers are: 'Rosa Ponselle' and 'Florence Hinkle'.    All I remember is,  is that the copy I had was a much later recording, (only because the bulk of records I was given were from over around a ten year period - probably that of say 1948 - 1958)  and had been issued on the 'green' Columbia Record Label.   It was a soprano voice.  (probably an older lady - but am unsure)  She may well have been English because I live in the United Kingdom,  but again; could be anyone...