[78-L] Columbia classics

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 30 13:53:11 PST 2010

The Damrosch Ma Mere is a pretty feeble performance as well as recording. I
can't remember what his Brahms sounds like but my memory tells me that an
acoustical recording of one movement from it sounded better. One item that was
added to the Modern Music Series was Gershwin's Concerto in F with Paul
Whiteman. Hardly a Symphony Orchestra but also not a well balanced
recording..the piano is in the distance.

Columbia was also recording a reduced NY Philharmonic under Henry Hadley for
the Ginn Educational Series at this time. Those sound like typical early
electricals (for that matter, the upper balcony of Edmonton's Jubilee
Auditorium also sounded like an early electrical recording, even though the ESO
was a pretty good band in the 80s).

dl