[78-L] Total Recall: Artie Shaw

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sun Jan 24 16:43:57 PST 2010

Re: "Artie spends his life being angry at someone or other," Dan said.

In 1998, the IAJRC held its annual Convention in Redondo Beach, Calif.
Artie Shaw was a guest speaker. He spoke for a bit more than an hour
and was quite impressive. Obviously, he had made this presentation
before. Immediately at the end of his presentation, I rushed up to the
podium and asked him to autograph the cover of the latest IAJRC
Journal, which had a photograph of Shaw’s 1950s group. Shaw refused,
saying he had not given an autograph since he left music back in the
Fifties and he wasn’t going to start again.  Others came up and asked
him the same thing. He refused all of them. Finally, he blurted out
angrily: “What are you—a bunch of savages? Do you also collect
toenails?”  To a guy standing next to me I said: “Well if he won’t give
autographs, ask for his toenails.”
Geoffrey Wheeler