[78-L] Total Recall: Artie Shaw

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun Jan 24 20:03:02 PST 2010

Which is why I value the autographs Artie gave me a few years before he died, after I interviewed him at his house about Bix Beiderbecke for a radio show I was doing for Bix's 100th birthday. He was grudging about it, but not only signed an 8x10 glossy that I'd brought along, he also signed copies of his three books for me as well ("The Trouble With Cinderella," "The Best of Intentions," and "I Hate You...Drop Dead.") I was told by his secretary that I caught him at a particularly malleable moment and was lucky. He enjoyed talking about Bix so much with someone who was interested in what he had to say and wasn't a fawning moron, that he was OK with signing anything I put in front of him.

Cary Ginell