[78-L] Advent of Electrical Recording

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jan 23 20:25:37 PST 2010

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> This W actually refers to World, which did the recording for Columbia
> for a while in the early CBS period. I don't think Columbia was using
> Western Electric after the early 30s.  dl

I think you have it backwards.  Wasn't it Decca where the lead matrix
prefix letter W denotes World? Remember the discussion with Doug Pomoroy
last week about the Decca vertical masters of the operettas?  And by the
way, World used ONLY Western Electric equipment.  Their labels note that
Sound Studios of NY was a Western Electric licensee.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com