[78-L] Al Duffy

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 23 20:47:24 PST 2010

Lord does the same thing and Delaunay doesn't list the recordings at all, which
is really odd. I've had all 8 of the Al Duffy Rhythmasters tracks for years on
a ten-inch Allegro LP and I have them on 4 Musicraft 78s which I'd date around
1944-45 (old style labels, 3 of them red and one blue). I don't think the
personnel appeared on the Allegro LP either, but they're definitely listed in
the Musicraft album (which I'm now going to have to retrieve from the vault to
give you the complete information).

Meanwhile, recorded music.

Hang on, this just in..

Cary Ginell wrote:
> OK, Ok, stop the presses. I had the record in my own library all along: "Hot Fiddle Classics " by Al Duffy & his Rhythmasters on Musicraft 66. Signorelli on piano, Shopnick on bass, and Mottola on guitar. The album is filled with hot versions of classical standards. The other titles are Poet & Peasant Overture, Salut a Pesth, Anitra's Dance, and Danza Delle Ore.
>
> Cary Ginell

And all 8 tracks are on Allegro Elite 4026. See if 4026B is in the dead wax of
your Royale LP.

Lord lists Joe Bushkin and possibly Willie The Lion Smith (?) and unknown
rhythm for the other side..also says "possibly from radio transcriptions,
1947-50", also issued on Allegro 1910, Allegro 1590, Rondo-Lette A845 and
Galaxy LP4845. Allegro issued a number of tracks from Standard Transcriptions
but I don't find Joe Bushkin anywhere in the Standard listings.

dl